Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snowed In with Lycans and Kate Beckinsale: Our "Underworld: Awakening" (2012) review

Directed By: Måns Mårlind & Björn Stein   Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Rea and Michael Ealy


Synopsis: In "Underworld: Awakening," Selene, the vampire Death Dealer of the first two "Underworld" installments, escapes imprisonment after having been cryogenically frozen for 12-years. She wakes up to a world where humans have discovered the existence of the Vampires and Lycans and have eradicated the world of both species. From there Selene must discover what happened to her and her lover Michael.


Our Review:
Sarah: Ok, so as it turns out we didn't escape the winter warlock by moving to Connecticut and the first snow-storm of the New Year trampled our plans to go into New York City to visit friends. So what do you do when you can't brave the ice-glazed roads? See a movie of course! Andrew, did we make the right choice to go see "Underworld: Awakening?"


Andrew: Well, my dear, considering how quickly we had to make a decision, and we wanted something that was not only entertaining but also not depressing, I think we made an excellent choice. Since we couldn't go to Manhattan to see our friends I think a mindless popcorn movie was exactly what we needed. Am I wrong in calling "Underworld" a mindless popcorn movie?

S: No, that’s exactly what it was. The story line was simple and straight to the point. Selene wakes up after being frozen for 12 years and she's pissed! A killing rampage seems like the right course of action. It was probably the most violent of any of the "Underworld" films to date, but that, in my opinion was what made it so entertaining. Otherwise the plot would have been waaaaay too simple and would have made for a very short movie.

A: I 100% agree. The strength of the "Underworld" franchise has never been the plot, the script or the acting. What it lacks in those areas it more than makes up for in action and style. Plus Kate Beckinsale does an awesome job at owning her role of Selene, per usual. I’d also have to give some props to the CGI for the Lycans. They could have very easily been bad and made the Lycans look cheesy, but I thought it was quite impressive at some times.

S: The only thing that I am a little bit confused over is that the movie ends on a cliffhanger. Beckinsale has said publicly that she wouldn't make any more "Underworld” movies after this one, but now she will have to. I wish they had tightened up the ending a little bit more. I understand that it’s almost like a re-vamp (haha, pun) of the series, but lets tighten it up a little more. And I know what you're going to say "It's not about the storyline, Sarah," but you know me, I have to find a little fault in such a simple flick.

A: Actually I don't disagree with you on that point. With an action movie about the eternal battle between vampires and werewolves, there's a natural suspension of disbelief. But what I can't ignore is that after the big final battle, it doesn't just end abruptly, it ends with an "Oh yeah, remember this thing we totally didn't have in this movie? That's going to be the focus of our next one!" And THAT'S what was abrupt. It's really a small thing and it won't take away from the movie as a whole, but it did bug me. Real quick: is there anything else you did or did not like about this film?

S: Well, I guess we will just have to wait till the next one to see how the two align. No, there was really nothing else that I did or didn't like. It was a fun movie to fight the bummer of not getting to go into the city for the day. Probably won't buy it when it comes out to DVD, but was fun to see on the big screen!

A: Yeah, we definitely won't be buying it (which, for our readers, is our highest compliment for a movie), but it was an entertaining way to kill an unexpected afternoon off. Okay Sarah, so what's our final verdict on "Underworld: Awakening?"

S: Slow day? See it in theaters. Otherwise? Netflix it.


(Out of Five Clapboards)


Tomorrow's post: Academy Award nomination predictions and/or our review of "The Artist"

3 comments:

  1. A movie review with Kate B. and not one comment abput her hot body, or how the wardrobe emphasizes it? Yes, you both are playing nicely! Neat idea to do this. I cannot wait until you disagree on one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh trust me, Stasha, I originally had a comment about her outfit, but I deleted in the editing process for length purposes. And I, too, look forward to a movie we disagree on ;)

    ReplyDelete